Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Just Breathe

"We'll I don't have the best news for you. The spot at twelve O'clock was a fibroadenoma but the one at five o'clock was more cancer."

Cause you can't jump the track
We're like cars on a cable
and life's like an hourglass
glued to the table
No one can find the rewind button girl
so cradle your head in your hands
And, breathe......
Just breathe......
Oh, Breathe......
Just breathe....

I hear that song and think that is what I am going to do when the doctor tell me it's more cancer. But that's not what I do. I say "OK" and I ask a few questions while staring out the window. I hang up and walk back to my desk. I still hear that song, I envision myself doubled over with my head in my hands but I just sit down and try to focus on the screen in front of me.

A little bit later, I get up again and go back to the hallway where there are no co-workers nearby. I call my husband. No answer, so I text him two words, "more cancer." I go back to the desk and try to focus. I think about that song and how much I should really stop and do it. I should stop and focus for a minute and "just breathe." But I don't.

I miss the next call from the doctors nurse, was I not paying attention? I didn't hear the phone ring but as soon as I see the "missed call, Dr's office" on my screen I jump up and run back to the hallway.

I'm thinking about it but not THINKING about it. You know? Intellectually I understand what was said and I know there is more in front of me but emotionally.... I just can't go there. I worry about it superficially. I definitely understand but I don't want to 'cradle my head in my hands" because that would be really letting it in.

I go back to my desk. I'm not really accomplishing much more than distracting myself from thinking about it when the phone rings again. It's my husband. We speak in a short-hand. He knows what I am saying, I don't even have to leave my desk. He mainly is concerned about how I feel. I tell him I am fine. That's true but mostly because I'm not really breathing. I'm not soaking it into my lungs and feeling the air move in and out. I'm distracting myself just enough to be able to ignore my breath.

I know it will come. I'll go there... you know? THERE. The place I don't want to be. The place I would be if I doubled over and cried at my desk right now. But I'm not going to do that. That will happen later probably when I least expect it.

And I feel like I'm naked in front of the crowd,
Cause these words are my diary screaming out loud
and I know that you'll use them however you want to
-Anna Nalick

Breathe (2 A.M.)

7 comments:

  1. Oh, Maria....
    I am SO SORRY. This is NOT the way to start a new year. Just know you aren't alone. I know you have a rare type of cancer but there are many people out there ready to hold you up.... in the blog world and on twitter, too.

    Count me on your team.

    I send love,
    AnneMarie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks AnneMarie, I'm still ignoring it but that won't last for long I'm sure I'll have to think about it more tomorrow. Thanks for the kind words.

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maria
    I am so sorry that I found you under the circumstances that you are facing. I too like AnneMarie am part of your new circle of friends that are here for you as you face so much unknown. You write so well and I am so glad you have this blog as I am now a follower.
    We have a meeting every Monday night 6pm EST 9pm EST on Twitter with the hashtag #BCSM (Breast Cancer Social Media). If you have been with us before I apologize as you are new to me and it is an incredibly supportive community that I think you will find so supportive. Besides that I am glad you found me on Twitter and please like AnneMarie count me in as your friend here to help in any way I can from social media land.
    XoXo - Susan
    www.a4bc.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, thank you for the note. I will be learning more today about my condition. I'm grateful for the support from the twitter and blogging communities. I wasn't too sure I wanted to do the blog but twitter is so limiting I felt like saying a little more, if for no one else but myself. I've been to a few BCSM chats. I'll have to try to make another one soon.

    Thanks again,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had been suffering from Unstable Angina of the heart for years..We have tried all we could to get the best of drugs and improve my condition on medics but my condition have not improved even after spending lots of money trying to give her the best..My illness has given me so much concern.. I was introduced to a psychic site by a spell caster where I read a testimony of a woman cured of subarachnoid hemorrhage permanently..I was baffled an interested in how she was cured and it was revealed that a spell caster helped her did a spell that cured her.. I contacted the spell caster and explained my case to him..he helped me did same spell and told me to take her for a test..we went for almost 5 checkups after the test and the medics all confirmed there is no traces of the virus in her system again..people that has been suffering from this illness can contact the spell caster on ishvaratemple@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. How i got my boyfriend back.Am Stacey Bruno by name I never believed in love spells or magic until I met this spell caster once when i went to see my friend in Indian this year on a business summit. I meant a man who's name is Dr ATILA he is really powerful and could help cast spells to bring back one's gone, lost, misbehaving lover and magic money spell or spell for a good job or luck spell .I'm now happy & a living testimony cos the man i had wanted to marry left me 5 weeks before our wedding and my life was upside down cos our relationship has been on for 3years. I really loved him, but his mother was against us and he had no good paying job. So when i met this spell caster, i told him what happened and explained the situation of things to him. At first i was undecided,skeptical and doubtful, but i just gave it a try. And in 7 days when i returned to Canada, my boyfriend (now husband) called me by himself and came to me apologizing that everything had been settled with his mom and family and he got a new job interview so we should get married. I didn't believe it cos the spell caster only asked for my name and my boyfriends name and all i wanted him to do. Well we are happily married now and we are expecting our little kid, and my husband also got the new job and our lives became much better. His email is atilahealinghome@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stacey Bruno..... I wrote this post about the day I found out I had cancer.... AGAIN. And, you? What do YOU do? You post an ad for some crap? You take a painful moment from a blog and try to sell people some shit? You, whoever you are.... I wish for you exactly what you deserve and it's not to get rich off the backs of people who have suffered.

    ReplyDelete