Monday, December 24, 2012

Everybody's talking

It's a funny thing when you have a rare or aggressive form of cancer. Simple questions are hard to answer.

Friend: "Hey Maria (Gal, Girlfriend etc....) What's up? How are things going for you?"
Me: "Fine, Fine. I'm all done with my treatments and as you can see my hair is growing back."(Smile)
Friend: "Oh, so glad to hear it is all over for you."
Me (with a little less enthusiasm) "Yes, it's all done."

I've probably had that exact conversation 50 times in the past few months. Someone asks how I am and I tell them I am fine. Usually for a brief moment I consider telling them the truth... but I never do.

I never say, "Well, I'm done but now I'm just holding my breath for it to be back."
I never say, "There is really no way to know if the cancer is gone."
I never say, "There is a higher than normal chance that it will come back."
I never say, "This cancer is known to be chemo resistant."
I never say, "I could have done all of that treatment for nothing."
I never say, "It's very rare."
I never say, "It can be aggressive."
I never say, "The first three years are the most critical."
I never say, "I'm still scared."

I just say, "I'm fine" and while they are talking and telling me how great it is that it is "all over" and how well I did and how I am a survivor... I just think about those other things, but I never say them.

"Everybody's talking at me, I don't hear a word they're saying, Only the echos of my mind."

Everybody's Talking

2 comments:

  1. Great post! Though I don't have the same diagnosis as you do, you have expressed my feelings about the daily "you must be glad it's over" conversations so well. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shari, Thanks for leaving me a note. I wrote this before my second DX so maybe there was a reason to worry. This time when I am done I'm going to try very hard to not think about it anymore.... but I'm not sure I will be able to.

    I hope you are well or getting better.

    Maria

    ReplyDelete